A Gender Neutral TWIN Nursery!

Friday, November 15, 2013

 the view from the hallway/door

I'm so excited to show the twins' nursery today! This room has turned into one of my favorites in the whole house. It took a while to come together, but I am in love with the finished product. 

When we found out we were having twins, the room that had been intended for a future nursery was going to be way too small. We had to overtake the guest bedroom, move out Russ's office, and do all sorts of rearranging. I was sad to change the guest bedroom -- I actually really loved it! But it all worked out. The room started like this:


I was way overwhelmed by the idea of decorating for two genders in one room! I wanted to do more than just "gender neutral" -- I wanted to give each twin their own area that was obviously theirs. I think I achieved my goal. It's clean, simple and calming with enough personality throughout.

I started by repainting the room Edgecomb Grey by Benjamin Moore. It's the perfect "greige." I knew I wanted modern cribs, but dang those can be pricey! And when you're buying two of everything... well, you know. Anyway, I found these perfect grey cribs at none other than Walmart (they've actually gone up in price since I bought them).


I knew I wanted the bedding to bring out the different genders. It took a (long) while to pick out all the fabrics and make sure they coordinate with each other yet allow boy vs. girl to shine through. My amazing mother sewed the bumpers and made the quilts. (although I must add that my sister and I helped hand quilt the blankets while we were on our houseboat trip this summer, so there, I did do something :)) I absolutely love them!

The fabric is from www.fabric.com, although I don't think any of those fabrics are on there anymore. I think you can find some of them on etsy or other fabric sites! Here is a list of a few of the fabrics I used:

Blue zig zag: Indie Chic Woven Blue by Riley Blake 
Coral circles: Pearl Bracelets Peach by Lizzy House
Yellow stripe: Glimma stripe in Dandelion Yellow by Lotta Jansdotter
Flowers: Glimma flower pods in gold/grey/white by Lotta Jansdotter


The art above each crib also was a fun way to show different genders. I found the coordinating woodland creatures here. I also bought two coordinating prints from CinnamonInk. I stamped their little footprints and simply glued the piece of paper into an embroidery hoop. The remaining prints were gathered from around the house (i.e.: old Snow & Graham calendars). I made the "I Am a Child of God" piece above Max's crib using the same method I did here.

 Clara's wall

Max's wall

I bought the rug from Rugs USA during some huge Labor Day weekend sale (I think it was like 80% off or something crazy). It is super soft and plush. It's still shedding a little bit, but I can tell each time I vacuum it gets better. I love how it ties the whole room together. 


And the dots! Oh, how I love the dots. I call it the "confetti wall." I bought the 2" vinyl decal dots from Walls Need Love - best idea ever! Covering an entire wall with this method is super affordable and fun. Using the image from the website as inspiration, I just kept the dots a little more condensed in the corner to make it look like the confetti was literally "exploding." I love, love the end result. 


That recliner/glider has been one of the best purchases (we found it at Babinski's Baby, a local store in Utah). I had been looking at some other gliders that were perhaps a bit more "stylish," and then my wise sister encouraged comfort over anything else. I ended up buying the exact chair she has. Best decision ever! I have spent so much time in that chair already, and these guys are only 4 weeks old! 

And how have I gone this whole time without talking about the beloved dresser?!? I had been eyeing this dresser from West Elm for years, and then one day I saw it at DownEast Home (a local discount home decor store). It was my very first nursery purchase, I was just barely pregnant. It was a total splurge, but with it being more than half off of what West Elm had it for, I haven't regretted it one bit. :) And plus, it can be used forever as it doesn't scream "baby!"

(oh, the fun owl lamp is from Target)


The bookshelves are just spice racks from Ikea that I spray painted a sage-y green. They have already been used a ton. I am sure once we continue to accumulate more books we will need to figure out a system with more capacity, but for now the racks are perfect.


So there ya go! That's the nursery! Aaaaaaand... If you are still reading this you deserve a prize. :)

24 comments:

Liz.Bell.Mason said...

Seriously amazing. To say I am jealous would be an understatement :)

Becky Foster said...

That is the absolute most beautiful and perfect nursery I have every seen, and on a budget! Wow wow!!

Unknown said...

This will be in a magazine soon...

B said...

You knocked it out of the park. Come decorate my house now - I'm uninspired.

Kristy Carpenter said...

Such an amazing nursery! I seriously LOVE every part of it!! I'm really jealous of it. Maybe you should come decorate my nursery for me :)

Megan Barrick said...

Absolutely perfect! Of course I expect nothing less from you and your amazing decorating skills!

Kaitlyn*Kami*Noah said...

Beautiful beautiful job Camille! You created a perfect space for your sweet babes :)

Annie. said...

It's unreal. Totally unreal. Are you for hire? I'm serious... Since you don't have anything else to do with your time right now ;)

Lizzie @ Emmerson and Fifteenth said...

The whole room is super cute! I used a really similar crib in my daughters room and gold dots too but I just love what you did (and I've been coveting that dresser and the rug for ages!!) Great job :)

Anonymous said...

I found your nursery through Pinterest and I just wanted to tell you how much I love it! It's so beautiful and I love that it's gender neutral. I have saved your post for my someday maybe baby room!
I look forward to reading your blog - your babies are so beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love your nursery!! It is stunning. What color fabric did you choose for your chair?

Whitmore Family said...

That has got to be the most beautiful boy/girl nursery I've seen! Pinterest worthy ;)

Unknown said...

Camille,

This is really, really beautiful. Would you mind if we used this image on our website and linked back to you? We are so impressed with this lovely nursery!

Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested: Elizabeth@wallsneedlove.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Camille- This nursery is fantastic! I'm looking for a rug just like the one you got. I went to the link but theres so many I was wondering if you remembered the name of it by any chance. Would love to get it for the nursery I'm doing now.

Lifeology said...

Gorgeous nursery! I have 16 month old twin boys, so much fun! Can I ask what the body and welt color of the Benji chairs is? I really like the combo. Thanks!

Lifeology said...

Gorgeous nursery! I have 16 month old twin boys, so much fun! Can I ask what the body and welt color of the Benji chairs is? I really like the combo. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love these colors as I am about to have b/g twins!! Where did you find the fabrics?

Lauren Roese said...

Where did you end up getting the fabric from?

Unknown said...

Hi,

Fantastic nursery.. Would you please tell me where you got the fabric from?

Camille said...

HI guys - sorry for the delayed response, the fabric is actually from www.fabric.com. The blue zig zag is "Riley Blake Indie Chic Woven Blue." The coral is "Pearl Bracelets Peach by Lizzy House." Hope that helps!!

Lauren Roese said...

What about the yellow fabrics? Thanks!!

Camille said...

I ended up editing the original post with all of the fabric sources I could find, but they are -
Yellow stripe: Glimma stripe in Dandelion Yellow by Lotta Jansdotter
Flowers: Glimma flower pods in gold/grey/white by Lotta Jansdotter

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love your nursery, would you mind sharing the fabric color of your nursery glider chair - I am looking at different story time series chairs and love the look of yours as well as the fabric. Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

My daughter's friend (who is like a daughter to me) is having her first baby and guess what it is twins a boy and a girl. She is very nervous but very excited. When Nicole saw your nursery she feel in love. She would like me to make the quilts and the bumpers. I think I can do that, however, as your mom made them for you I was thinking that maybe she remembers the patter used, or if she just did it a few points may be helpful. Please let me know as soon as you can my e-mail address is lindapeterson13@msn.com.

Thank you!