Play On!

Friday, March 18, 2011

Our neighborhood connects to a really large park. It's not your traditional park with lots of green grass (because San Antonio doesn't really have grass.. at least grass you want to sit in). But there is a huge network of trails for running, biking, walking, etc. The other night on my run I ran over some "graffiti." After thinking "ugh, those darn people that grafitti in this park... grumble grumble..." I looked a little closer to discover that it wasn't in fact graffiti, but a quote that brought a smile to my face:
As I ran on, that quote made me reflect on music and how influential it is in my life. I have always, always loved music. A lot of it I blame on my Dad (thanks Dad!). I am grateful for how one song can bring a complete change to your mood. This week has been a very "blah" week, mostly due to... you guessed it... work. So, I scouted out some new tunes that have successfully turned this frown upside down. Here are some of the new tunes (in no particular order) that I have been grooving to in my lovely corner in the "tax pit":


White Knuckles - OK Go
Kites - Geographer
Hummingbird - The Weepies
Normandie - Shout Out Louds
This Empty Northern Hemisphere - Gregory Alan Isakov
Don't Carry It All - The Decembrists
Only the Young - Brandon Flowers (loooooove this one)
 Normandie - Shout Out Louds
Off We Go - Trent Dabbs
Comes and Goes - Greg Laswell
The Ghost Inside - Broken Bells
Everything is Burning - Ivan & Alyosha
Giving Up the Gun - Vampire Weekend
Yellow Brick Road - Angus and Julia Stone
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Greg Laswell


Whew! Ok I'll stop there. I have a handful more, but I don't want to overload you. Go set up an account in Grooveshark and start groovin'! If you haven't heard of Grooveshark, you are missing out. It's like Pandora but BETTER. I put Pandora to rest a while ago. You can search for a specific song, listen to it, and make your own playlists. It will even do a random radio like Pandora, but I just like the fact that you can type in a song and get that song. What a thought, eh? Here's the best part... it's FREE! If you join, let me know and I can share this playlist with you so you don't have to search out each song. Or you can if you want to, cause that's also fun sometimes.

Anyway, one last song that has been in my head for a few days is brought on by the inevitable Jimmer-mania that has swept the country. I have always been proud to be a Cougar, but especially now as BYU is rockin' March Madness. What am I going to do when they play Gonzaga!?!? Conflicting loyalties... Spokane vs. BYU. Yikes. I think I'll have to go with BYU, especially since this song just rocks. Teach me how to Jimmer y'all.

2 comments:

layne said...

oh my goodness Camille I love your music taste!! I've been listing to "Only the Young" on repeat these past few days. I woke up humming it this morning. love love love. happy tax season! you can do it!!

Kimberly said...

I'm totally grooveshark friending you right now!