Fabric Flower Headband Tutorial

Sunday, March 13, 2011

I've concluded that Sundays are my very favorite days. I have an excuse to lay around and be lazy, not think about anything too serious or stressful, and re-charge for the week ahead. Sundays also provide a great opportunity to tap into my crafty side! In light of keeping true to my "busy season goals," I decided to make another tutorial for you guys! (I know you're thrilled, right??) This time I'm going to show you how to make some fabric poppy flowers. I think poppies are one of my favorite flowers. You can't be sad when looking at poppies. It's impossible.


 Ok, let's get started. This is what you'll need:

A few things to note before I show you what to do. These little squares of felt are literally $0.29 at Jo-Ann's and Michael's, so stock up and get crafting! Obviously you can choose any color of bead to secure the middle. You could even do something crazy and use a button or something. The sky is the limit here. This craft project even lets you tap into your inner-pyro! Now this is my type of craft project, people. However, I think a lighter is probably the best method to burn the edges; I tried using a candle once and it turned the fabric kind of black and charred. It may have just been a cheap candle, but that's my experience. Anyway, here's what you do:


Now that you have the felt ready, it's time to secure the three circles together!























At this point you can put your poppy flower on anything... a headband, bobby pin, hair clip, shirt, onesie, shoe clip, you name it! I experimented with making a stretchy headband by just attaching the flowers to one of those Scuunci brand headbands you can get at any drug store, but I will also show you how to put them on a structured headband.

Attaching the flowers to a structured or traditional headband is as easy as using your glue gun. For real. You can get these types of headbands at your grocery store, Target, Forever 21, etc. They are super cheap, and usually come in packs of 2 or 3. Glue the flower to your headband, and then paste a strip of felt underneath the headband to secure the flowers and add some padding. Obviously, I wasn't too careful on being neat... but I was experimenting, and no one sees that part anyway! Don't judge. :)



And no tutorial is complete without a shot of the finished project. These poppy flowers are perfect for spring, and really are pretty simple. And like I said, who doesn't love a craft project where pyrotechnics are involved?

Happy crafting, my friends!

9 comments:

ashley mikell said...

yay! i can't wait to try these!

-Kara Ann. said...

camille, these are awesome! you are so crafty! i will definitely have to try out all of these cute ideas. :]

Sara said...

Thanks! Just made one for my girls, and will be making more soon! Love the simplicity!

Mike Ward said...

I just made some of these for my nieces and Anna and they are absolutely adorable!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Ali said...

thanks for sharing, I put a link to this tutorial on my blog.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

I can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing! Can you tell me where you buy your stretchy headband material and also the hard ones too? Thanks

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said...

Burning felt?! How clever!

Husna said...

It's so cute and super simple.....gonna try it NOW....can't wait....bye! Thank you!